History of the Point Lookout Civic Association Community Beautification Project
During the 1930's and 1940's The Association sponsored and paid for the annual Town Clean-Up Week.
The Association sponsored and maintained the Point Lookout Honor Roll located at Lido Boulevard and Freeport Avenue.
In the 1960's the first formal Beautification Committee of the Association was appointed.
Committee volunteers began the greening of the community by planting many trees along the streets of Point Lookout.
Trees were purchased by homeowners for $25.00 and the planting was free thanks to the volunteer staff
Later, the Lido Boulevard Committee began efforts to improve the Boulevard.
1970's -- Beautification Committee began the Operation Main Street project. Many good ideas came out of this project and these were implemented at a later time.
The Beautification Committee was renewed in the early 1980's.
Many of Operation Main Street's ideas were implemented by the committee. They successfully negotiated with the County to build a traffic island at the entrance to town and to replace the missing trees on Lido Boulevard.
In 1985, the County built the island and gifted the island and the trees to the community. The Association planted and maintained the island thanks to a generous donation by a local family. Additional plantings and planters were added along the Boulevard and at the entrance of Civic Beach.
Throughout the 80's and 90's monies to enhance and maintain these projects were raised in the community by the Committee. These funds were deposited in the Point Lookout Civic Association Beautification Fund and this ongoing fund raising continued to sustain the project.Subsequently, The Village Gardners, an independent group led by Doris Cullen assumed the beautification task and have continued to extend the reach of beautification throughout the Community.