Community Outlook December 1974
The earliest newspaper that we had at the Point was THE LOOKOUT. It was started either late 1933 or early 1934 because Volume 1 No. 5 was dated July 28, 1934.
THE LOOKOUT was published weekly during the summer and sold for three cents a copy. Dorothy and Irene Murphy were the co-editors and E.J. Sweeney was sales manager.
Some of the early advertisers were Ralph Vail, Bright Eye Fish Co., Leonard Little, M.J. O'Rourke & Sons, Philip Engeldrum, the Laurel Theatre and Whitey's Oasis.
The issue of THE LOOKOUT of August 26, 1934 mentioned the forthcoming marriage of Audrey Schneider of 111 Freeport Avenue (and also included her picture) to the Chairman of this Historical Committee, Mel Brown. That event occurred September 7,1934.
In 1935, E.J. Sweeney was no longer associated with the publication. He was replaced by Helen Murphy and Henry P. McCabe. Just when THE LOOKOUT was discontinued is not presently known but another publication was commenced in 1938 entitled THE LOG. It was published weekly during the summer. The editor was Edith Marion Scully and other members of the staff were John Scully, John Croteau, John Guerin, and Peggy Scully. Carolyn Gates reported from Lido. THE LOG was published through the summer of 1940 but we don't know when it was eventually discontinued.
The present COMMUNITY OUTLOOK was commenced in 1948 and has ten issues annually. Its editors over the years have been George G. Goldie, Herbert C. Ulph, Sue Malmstrom, Charles Bohle and since 1968 the present editor.
This is the fifth in a series of articles being prepared by the Historical Committee of the Ovic Association of Point Lookout.